Voluntary Service for Refugees
A voluntary service is a time for education and orientation. It can help you to get familiar with life in Germany. For many years, people in Germany have been committing themselves to a “voluntary social year” or to a “federal voluntary service.” This is a practical way in which you too can do something for yourself and for others.
The Assignment Location: You will be helping out in a social care organisation. For example, you can commit to young people, old or sick people. This is not an employment relationship, but rather an orientation year. During this year, you will gain professional and personal experience of working in the social care sector in Germany. You will receive introductory training, be given practical guidance, and be accompanied by employed colleagues. You will improve your German, belong to a team and will be able to develop (professional) perspectives for yourself. At the same time, you will be able to help people in the organisation and get involved in helping the society.
Training Events: There will be seminars where you will meet other volunteers from Germany and other countries. You will share experiences and continue your education in various topics, which you will be able to help in choosing.
- A voluntary service lasts at least 6 months and at most 18 months.
- You will be working for at least 20.5 hours per week at your assignment location.
- You must have a work permit for your voluntary service. You can get the work permit from the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Basic knowledge of German is sometimes required.
- We are open to anyone who is interested regardless of their religion.
During your voluntary service, you will receive the following benefits:
- Support in learning or improving your German (language courses, language support)
- Continued support by a contact person
- Training events
- A detailed testimonial report and a certificate for your period of service
- Spending allowance (payment calculated on the basis of AsylbLG)
- Health, accident, pension and nursing care insurance
- In some cases, board and lodging